Site Meter
Send Us An Email
Panama Guide

Welcome to Panama Guide
Monday, June 17 2019 @ 02:43 PM UTC

Olloqui's Financing for the Palacio de la Bahia Project Questioned

Construction & Interiors By Mario A. Muñoz for La Prensa - The team of architects and engineers that designed and elaborated the plans to build the Palacio de la Bahia project, a building designed to be 350 meters tall and that would cost more than $160 million dollars to build, said yesterday in a press conference that for financial and economic reasons, the Spanish businessman Adolph Olloqui forced the construction to be suspended. "It is not a coincidence that this month the President of the Spanish bank CaixaGalicia will be arriving in Panama," said Juan Carlos Tapia, who was acting as a spokesman for the Jesus Diaz organization. He went on to say that "there is not a single local bank supporting this project." The architectural firm of Jesus Diaz is demanding payment of $500,000 in professional fees. In addition, the architect Jesus Diaz and structural engineer Oscar Ramirez pointed out that the Office of the Municipal Engineer had fined Olloqui with $42,000 thousand dollars after having determined that they had constructed a perimeter wall using plans that were not approved, and which had not been drawn by the Jesus Diaz Architects S.A. company. "The wall they built was thinner than what we had specified, 50 centimeters as opposed to 60 centimeters. In addition they used a mix of water and cement that is not apt to support the weight of this building, and they used another construction system," said Ramirez. The team denied the position of Olloqui, who last week told La Prensa that the construction of the project was "nonviable, irrealizable and impossible" as it had been designed. Olloqui said they will advance with another design by architect Miguel Lopez Piñeiro.

Disputa arquitectónica.

Sugieren incapacidad financiera de Olloqui

LA PRENSA/Maydée Romero

Jesús Díaz reclama 500 mil dólares en honorarios. 786123 Mario A. Muñoz andresm@prensa.com

El equipo de arquitectos e ingenieros que diseñó y elaboró los planos del Palacio de la Bahía, un edificio de 350 metros de altura que requiere una inversión de 160 millones de dólares, señaló ayer en conferencia de prensa que por razones financieras y económicas, el empresario español Adolfo Olloqui se vio forzado a paralizar los trabajos de construcción.

"No es casualidad la llegada al país este mes del presidente del banco español CaixaGalicia", entidad que financiaría el proyecto, dijo el empresario Juan Carlos Tapia, vocero de Jesús Díaz Arquitectos S.A. "No hay ni un solo banco local apoyando la obra". La firma aún reclama 500 mil dólares en honorarios.

Además, el arquitecto Jesús Díaz y el ingeniero estructural Oscar Ramírez recordaron que Ingeniería Municipal había multado a Olloqui con 42 mil dólares al detectar que construía un muro perimetral con planos no aprobados y no elaborados por la firma Jesús Díaz Arquitectos.

"El muro que se estaba levantando era de un grosor menor, una relación de agua y cemento no apta para servir como soporte de carga del edificio y que utilizaba otro sistema constructivo" señaló Ramírez.

El equipo desmintió la postura de Olloqui, quien hace una semana comentó a La Prensa que la construcción del proyecto era "inviable, irrealizable e imposible" tal como había sido diseñado. Olloqui avanzará con otro diseño del arquitecto Miguel López Piñeiro.

Share
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks

Story Options