Site Meter
Send Us An Email
Panama Guide

Welcome to Panama Guide
Monday, April 23 2018 @ 07:39 AM EDT

FAQ: I was born in the Canal Zone - Am I A Dual Citizen?

Immigration Issues Question: My father was in the military and I was born in Gorgas hospital. My family left Panama when I was very young. Does that make me a Panamanian citizen?

Answer: Yes. Actually it makes you a dual US-Panamanian citizen. The first step is to find the documents which prove you were born in Gorgas or any other medical facility in the former Canal zone. These will be the basis for your applications to the Panamanian government to obtain official government documents such as a Panamanian cedula (ID card) and passport. As a Panamanian citizen you can come and go (or stay) as long as you like with no need for any kind of immigraion process. Panamanian citizens can work in Panama and do things like obtain licenses to sell real estate. If you were born in Panama (anywhere) you are a Panamanian citizen by birth, but you simply don't have the papers to prove it yet. Hope this helps.

  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks

Story Options