Istmian National Golf Championship Returns to Panama
Saturday, May 02 2009 @ 08:22 AM EDT
Contributed by: Don Winner
By DON WINNER for Panama-Guide.com - Received today via email from Bob Askew: "am happy to announce that the Isthmian National Golf Championship returns to Panama in May. This great amateur tournament died away about ten years ago, but through the efforts of the Panama Golf Association (APA Golf) and its participating clubs, it is returning and will be played on consecutive weekends (9-10 and 16-17 May 2009) on 4 separate courses -- Panama Golf Club and Summit Golf and Resort on 9-10 May and Royal Decameron Golf Club and Coronado Golf and Beach Resort on 16-17 May. Interest in golf in Panama has grown tremendously, and this Isthmian Championship (official name “Campeanato Nacional del Istmo 2009”) is a chance to take part and a great opportunity to play four great golf courses.
The cost for this event is $250 which includes the golf with golf cart, prize eligibility, goodie bag, sponsor giveaways and more. (more)
- I. Men:
- - Category A (Championship): Handicap Index up to 4.3, Championship Tees
- - Category B: Index 4.4 to 9.1, White Tees
- - Category C: Index 9.2 to 14.3, White Tees
- - Category D: Index 14.4 to 21.2, White Tees
- - Category E: Index 21.2 and higher, White Tees
- II. Women Red Tees
- III. Senior (55 to 70) Yellow Tees
- IV. Super Seniors (70 and above) Red Tees
Schedule: First Weekend Saturday 9 May
- - Club de Golf de Panama : Women, Seniors, Super Seniors and men with handicap index over 14.3
- - Summit : Men with handicap index below 14.4 Sunday 10 May
- - Club de Golf: Men with handicap index below 14.4
- - Summit : Women, Seniors, Super Seniors and men with handicap index over 14.3
- Second Weekend Saturday 16 May
- - Coronado : Women, Seniors, Super Seniors and men with handicap index over 14.3
- - Royal Decameron: Men with handicap index below 14.4
- Sunday 17 May
- - Royal Decameron: Women, Seniors, Super Seniors and men with handicap index over 14.3
- - Coronado : Men with handicap index below 14.4
A valid handicap index and membership in APA Golf are requirements. An applicant who does not have a valid and current APA Golf Handicap index, must first join APA Golf ($25) and submit current handicap index documentation for validation by APA Golf from the applicant’s home course or handicap organization. Those with no current handicap index may still play but will do so with a zero handicap for net play competition.
Verification of current APA Golf Handicaps may be viewed here: http://www.golfweb.ws/4974/
his a stroke play tournament and prizes will be awarded as follows: one gross prize and three net prizes will be awarded in each category. The winner of the championship category will be crowned and recognized as the Isthmian Amateur Champion for 2009.
Application forms are available at the pro shops at Summit Golf and Resort, Club de Golf de Panama , Coronado Golf and Resort and Royal Decameron Golf Club. Deadline for application is 5 p.m. 7 May 2009.
I am currently working on an English language translation of the tournament regulations and will be available shortly. For more information call Bob Askew 6630-6061 or email firstname.lastname@example.org