National Institute Reopens - Partially - After Last Week's Protests
Tuesday, June 26 2012 @ 11:22 AM EDT
Contributed by: Don Winner
The authorities of the Ministry of Education (MEDUCA) called the parents to come to a meeting again this morning at 7:00 am. It was learned that the students in the tenth, eleventh and twelfth grades will return to classes as of tomorrow.
They Protested: While education officials met with parents inside, students from the FER-29 picketed in front of the school. Dileyka Rodriguez, a leader of the student movement, accused MEDUCA of wanting to silence the voice of the leaders by keeping the school closed. She added that although classes have restarted, if necessary, they will keep protesting.
MEDUCA Issues Statement: Marisin Chanis, the Regional Director of Education, said MEDUCA closed the school "for safety." Because of the marches last Wednesday and Thursday, Chanis said they wanted to avoid a repeat of the protests.
Sociologist and professor Marcos Gandasegui said "the authorities are afraid of the students so they keep the 'Eagles Nest' closed instead of addressing their concerns in order to block the students." (Siglo)