Site Meter
Send Us An Email
Panama Guide

Welcome to Panama Guide
Friday, August 01 2014 @ 06:29 PM EDT

Forum Index > Mining > New Copper Mine in Colon Province New Topic Post Reply
 What do you guys think about this new copper mine?

Don Winner
 09/01/12 04:04PM (Read 25889 times)  
AAAAA
Admin

Regular readers will probably know that I'm pretty much in favor of the development of the mining industry in Panama. However, I want to hear what you guys think. This is going to be a very large open pit style mine from what I understand. And, I'm told the deposits are "massive." Like, this might end up being one of the largest copper mines in the world.

So, what do you think? For? Against? Opinions?

Don Eek!

Profile Email Website
Gregvx
 09/01/12 11:54PM  
+----
Rookie

Mining can bring prosperity to an area, while it is ugly while it is being mined, it can be reclaimed. My biggest concern is always the tailings ponds, if they fail, it is catastrophic, and almost impossible to reclaim. My two bits!

Profile Email Website
Don Winner
 10/01/12 11:00AM  
AAAAA
Admin

What I don't know (yet) is if the development plan for this copper mine involves the use of tailing ponds or not. I'm sure it's fully described in their Environmental Impact Study, which I have not seen. And by the way, those are available to the public, anyone can go to the ANAM and read them, for any project. FYI, for what it's worth.

Don

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: jneptune
 10/03/12 02:08PM  

awake

I am for mining in Panama, as it can add to economic development and prosperity and fill a need in other parts of the world. But I must qualify that answer by saying that I think strict oversight of the processes used throughout the duration of the mine's productivity is critical. I think that it is important that reclamation be pursued along the way - and prevention of acid mine drainage and all kinds of nasty stuff (or adequate containment) occur. Because of the rainfall situation in Panama, mine design is critical to protect ground and surface water.

There is an organization, CAFTA, which is the Central American Free Trade Agreement which includes an
environmental side agreement-which in turn allows EPA to assist countries with mining issues. All of the CAFTA members (Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Nicaragua) wanted to develop a Environmental Impact Assessment guide for Mining. I do not know the status of this document. I note, also, that Panama is not a member of this group. Perhaps it should be.

Anonymous: jschlenzig
 05/04/12 10:36AM  

Do it. This country needs and deserves economic development.

Today, mining and taking care of the environment is not a contradiction.
Rich countries only can afford it. And Panama is on its way.
Not sure if EPA is the right supporter, considering their US energy industry agenda.

Anonymous: Gord
 06/04/12 01:12AM  

I am pro mining as long as it's done in a responsible manner and it creates good paying jobs. I hope they follow the example of the gold mine in Colon.
Petaquilla's Molejon mine has nearly 900 employees.

Anonymous: quantum
 08/05/12 09:26PM  

Quote by: Don Winner

What I don't know (yet) is if the development plan for this copper mine involves the use of tailing ponds or not. I'm sure it's fully described in their Environmental Impact Study, which I have not seen. And by the way, those are available to the public, anyone can go to the ANAM and read them, for any project. FYI, for what it's worth.

Don

Speaking of ANAM, has anyone here had any personal experience with them, let alone a favorable one? They seem to be a rather toothless tiger to me........I've had several close encounters, and altho there are some good guys on the ground trying to do their job, much if not most of what they do in the field gets buried in the legal dept, kinda like the same relationship between the police and fiscalia.........the bureaucrats in the office who end up with all the studies and paperwork, rarely take action........to be sure, its not all their fault, cuz from what I see here in Chiriqui, ANAM has been gutted......by this administration.....Martinelli does not have the environment high up on his list of priorities........are there any copper mines out there in rainy tropical countries which have been developed to high environmental standards.;.....I would be very interested to see an example if there is.............................

Anonymous: Gimiwon
 21/05/12 03:24PM  

I live in Northern Minnesota, where we have been affected by Iron mining for many decades. the pollution has destroyed many of the native plants and fish. Now we are fighting a copper-sulfide mine proposal right next to the world famous boundary waters wilderness area. Copper sulfide threatens our health and basic needs. You talk about the mine as if you or your subject in panama would benifit. you and panama will see less then 1% off all profits associated with the mining. what incentive for destruction and irrepairable harm is that?

Anonymous: Junio2011
 18/06/12 08:22AM  

I worry what it will do to this the beautiful country, I have been to New Mexico and saw what mining has done to the mountains for many years after. It looks awful. Causes mud slides, with the rainy season... Just my opinnion...

Content generated in: 0.07 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

Normal Topic Normal Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content