Monday, February 04 2013 @ 10:24 PM UTC
Contributed by: Don Winner
Their fears arise from the announcement made by indigenous groups and social coalitions about new protests that will be held starting on Tuesday.
"We are very alarmed by the impacts left after the highway closures held last year in the provinces of Chiriqui and Bocas del Toro, as so far we don't know their specific and dire consequences," said Laura Pedreschi, spokesperson for the business community of Volcan.
The leaders of the General Congress and the Regional Congress of the Ngäbe Buglé rejected the protests and road closures announced by the Indian Coordinator, Chief Silvia Carrera and other organizations affiliated with the coalition of social groups.
The directors of the Chamber of Commerce of Chiriqui, said the closures last year in the province caused economic losses of more than 20 million dollars, which had to be absorbed by the small business owners, entrepreneurs, producers and carriers in Bocas del Toro and Chiriqui.
The Governor, Aixa Samntamaría, reiterated the need for peaceful protests without closing streets to prejudice others.
The directors of the economic sectors of the highlands also decided to ask the national government to provide adequate and prompt attention to issues of community interest, since in this way the authorities would contribute to the climate of peace and tranquility that requires our society. (TVN)