Friday, March 22 2013 @ 01:55 PM EDT
Contributed by: Don Winner
Algis Torres, director of Health for San Miguelito, Las Cumbres and Chilibre, reported that one of these patients, 83, was taken by ambulance to the San Miguel Arcángel hospital because their condition of pneumonia became complicated.
He explained that people who were seen yesterday were suffering from diabetes and hypertension.
Moreover, Enrique Ho, director of the Authority of Urban and Household Cleanliness, said there are 300 people and 70 bulldozers working to control the fire that started Tuesday afternoon.
He said yesterday they reopened phase one of the landfill, which had been closed for 15 years, to temporarily allow for the unloading of garbage trucks.
The official said they will continue this for the next two weeks, until the construction of the third phase is complete.
Indeed, there were protests at this new area yesterday.
Residents of the sector of La Paz in Guna Nega, closed access the to the landfill because the new garbage dump is located 100 meters from their homes.
Faced with the actions of those residents, riot control officers of the National Police responded to the area and reopened the road using pepper spray.
Meanwhile, Silvano Vergara, Administrator of the National Environmental Authority, said the low wind speed over the last few days has hampered the dispersion of the smoke. (Prensa)